Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Time in the Word

For the last three weeks, I've been teaching a study on the books of I and II Timothy and Titus. The curriculum I'm using has twelve lessons. We've been studying for three weeks, and we've already learned so much. I think we've made it through the first two chapters.

Recently I completed a writing assignment writing short pieces of devotion and prayer. When I finished, I had written about 6,000 words. I praised the Lord because in the not too distant past, I doubt I could have written 600 words.

My pride in my accomplishment was short-lived though. The next time I studied for my class, I realized that I Timothy - the book I've spent three weeks teaching and barely scratched the surface, has only 2,269 words. How rich and how wonderful is the Word of God! He inspired Paul as he wrote these three short letters.

Have you ever griped and complained about studying the Bible? Perhaps you've felt guilty because you never seem to have the time. I've been there myself. With God's help, I intend to change my attitude. When I read the Bible, I go over and over the verses until I understand the meaning and the message. I hope the pieces I write have an inkling of the depth I'm striving for.

I imagine I've read 6,000 words of email today. Or 6,000 words in the newspaper. Yet I can't find time to read the Bible? We need to know the Word of God before we can incorporate His wisdom and principles into our writing.

How much time do you spend studying God's writings before you pen yours?

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna J. Shepherd said...

Thanks for taking time to comment! My first one! :)

God bless - Donna

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home